Daily Brew Jan 12, 2023
U.S. alcohol sales in 2022 led by premium spending across all categories
Preliminary 2022 data from IWSR shows that all major categories across the total beverage alcohol industry in the U.S. – beer, cider, wine, spirits and ready-to-drink (RTDs) – posted growth across premium-plus price tiers*. While total volumes of wine (-2%), beer (-2%) and cider (-4%) all declined in 2022, the premium-and-above segments of each grew: wine (+6%), beer (+4%) and cider (+11%). Total spirits volumes were up +2%, with premium+ up +13%, while RTDs showed moderate gains at less than +1%, with premium+ up +38%. “Economic uncertainty continued throughout 2022, ranging from inflation to talks of a recession to supply chain instability,” says Brandy Rand, Chief Strategy Officer, IWSR Drinks Market Analysis.